Skip to main content

A Work in Progress...


I have always had a love of makeup. 

My first memories relating to makeup are of my Godmother getting ready for work and letting me try on her lipstick. I must have been around four years old and I remember feeling so grown up.

I wasn't allowed to truly wear makeup until I was in high school. Once I started wearing makeup I would rarely be seen without it on. For me wearing makeup gives me more confidence in myself. I find I am able to hold my head higher when I'm wearing my "mask."

When I got pregnant with my son in 2012 I for the first time started going to work without makeup on. I was just too exhausted to bother with my usual makeup routine. This continued throughout my pregnancy and for the first year of my son's life.

I have recently rekindled my love for make-up. It is the one thing that I truly do just for myself and have found that it has helped me to regain a sense of self after pregnancy. 

My newest discovery is that I have an obsession with nail polish in particular. Within the last few months I have changed from someone who rarely paints their nails and owns only a bottle or two of polish into a bit of a polish monster. I paint my nails every two or three days (sometimes more) and my collection is well over 40 bottles at this point. 

I find myself shopping for polish daily, signing up for monthly subscriptions, making my own nail polish, and crafting with polish. So here is where the blog comes in...

I'm not sure what the end result of this blog will be. I have so many ideas, from polish reviews and swatches to franken recipes. It is a work in progress...so please bare with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orly Cuticle Oil

I purchased Orly's Cuticle Oil on Amazon thinking that I was getting the full sized bottle. I received the package last night and was a bit disappointed to find that what I purchased was a 1 oz. bottle of Orly Smart Gels Cuticle Oil. Luckily I only spent $5 for it and I actually really like this oil! This oil is very think, almost like a gel but absorbs wonderfully. My favorite part is that it has a fruity scent (Watermelon?) which is much more pleasant than the lavender scented Julep Cuticle oil I have been using. The downside...this is yet another oil that doesn't provide enough moisture to keep my cuticles soft and looking healthy. Living in Colorado has really done a number on my skin and I am finding that I need products that not only moisturize but hold the moisture in.

Salon Perfect Loopy Lime and Kaboom FAIL

Before I start I have to say that in general I can fit most nail polishes into two categories: Good Polish or Great Polish. I have only one ran into a polish I couldn't stand (Floss Gloss) but I have now added Salon Perfect to that list. I have been craving neon nails for the last few days. In particular I really wanted to try China Glaze's Neon Summer Collection but I just couldn't justify spending $35 all at once for the polish. So instead I went out and purchased Salon Perfects Loopy Lime and Kaboom (I've been wanting to purchase Ninja Polish Floam for some time but can never find it) I purchased Salon Perfect Loopy Lime thinking I was getting a neon green creme polish. It wasn't till I got home from the store that I discovered this polish had white shimmer that had settled to the bottom. When I mean settled, I mean SETTLED! It took me a good ten minutes of hard shaking to get the polish MOSTLY mixed back together and as soon as you put the polish down i

Julep Diamond Theory

Finish: Glitter Color: full-coverage multidimensional copper glitter. Dupe: ? This polish came in my February Maven Box. I'm not a huge fan of the color, to me this polish looks bronze rather than copper. That being said I love that there are different sizes of glitter in this polish which provides almost complete coverage in just one coat. This probably won't be a go to color for me but may end up as a gift or for special occasions only.